To find your missing child, effective use of local media like town and neighborhood publications can create a bigger buzz that will drive bigger media to cover your story. You should focus on creating a strong relationship with local reporters because:
- Coverage in a local publication shows your story is not a hoax. As you use social media to build a community of people who do not know you personally, third party validation plays a big role in gaining their trust.
- Local reporters tend to be more sympathetic to your story.
- They will often cover the story several times, providing links you can use across your social media platforms.
- Your friends and neighbors, the people most likely to help in the search for your missing child, read the local papers.
- Coverage in local papers often catches the eye of bigger publications. Sometimes the story becomes a story by itself.